Makes 2 servings
Mezze without hummus is inconceivable! Once you’ve discovered how easy it is to make fresh, you won’t go back to store-bought.
- 2 cups of dried chickpeas soaked overnight or quickly soaked
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup well-stirred tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice of 1 lemon or to taste
- 1/2 – 1 cup chickpea cooking liquid or cold water
- Whole cooked chickpeas
- Minced fresh parsley leaves
- Cayenne pepper or paprika
- Oleavanti Ehden Grove Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Soak 2 cups of dried chickpeas overnight or quick soak them by covering the chickpeas with water bringing them to a boil, letting them cook for 3 minutes and allowing the beans to soak for an hour.
- Drain the chickpeas and add water to cover. Cook the soaked chickpeas about an hour on top of the stove or ten minutes in a pressure cooker.
- Allow them to cool.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a food processor, add minced garlic and puree until a thick paste forms, slowly add chickpea cooking liquid or cold water as needed to obtain a uniform and smooth paste.
- With the machine running, slowly add the tahini, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and lemon juice until homogenized.
- Taste and adjust the recipe by adding more salt, or lemon.
- Place the hummus in a serving dish and spread with the back of a spoon to form a well in the center, place about five whole cooked chickpeas in the center and decorate with chopped parsley, sumac and cayenne pepper or paprika.
- Pour Oleavanti Ehden Grove Extra-Virgin Olive Oil indulgently!
- Serve with pita bread.